Friday, March 9, 2012

A Double Blessing...

I had been looking forward to this day for weeks
The day that we would be able to hear our little one's heart beat
I was aware of changes going on inside me
And yet I knew hearing the heartbeat would make it even more real 
It was a reminder that we had been blessed with life
And this little life was growing

Jeremiah and I headed to the office and in for our ultrasound
Today we were visiting JoAnne Robbins, a midwife at the hospital 
She delivered one of our dear friend's baby and came highly recommended
Part of determining our best birth plan was visiting JoAnne as well as the birth center

As we sat there I was relieved to hear a strong steady heartbeat
The ultrasound tech let us know "Yup, one strong heartbeat"
Jokingly I said, "At least it is only one!"
Little did I know what was about to happen...
In that moment the tech paused and began to look even closer at the screen 
"Wait just a minute..." she said
I felt my heart drop out of fear that something was wrong with the baby
They began to look even closer at our baby and revealed...
It was not only one baby but TWO babies....TWINS
Jeremiah and I looked at each other in disbelief and promptly began to cry
I have never been so excited and terrified all in one moment
The ultrasound showed two beautiful and healthy babies 
Each baby had a strong and steady heartbeat 
We could even see them flicker on the screen
In an instance our entire lives changed...isn't that just like children?

Heiser TWINS
The entire office celebrated the big news with us from the receptionist to the nurses 
My head was reeling but things started to make sense now
I had been so terribly sick and tired since I found out I was pregnant
"Double" symptoms are characteristic of twins and would explain my symptoms
We were immediately referred out of a midwifes care and on to a high risk doctor
This will be one of the first of many changes we experience in our "plan" for baby
The doctor referred to this as "spontaneous twins"
There is no relevant family history or use of medical treatments to warrant the twins
We are simply calling it a "miracle"

We are in shock
We are in awe
And we are falling doubly in love with our growing family...

"Lord, your ways are higher than our ways and we trust you with this new joy"

1 comment:

  1. So cool Sarah! I love following your journey...God is so good!

    ReplyDelete